Sunday, May 17, 2009

Last Night at the Lobster: Stewart O'Nan



This weekend I finished reading Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan. This book has been on the to be read list for awhile, so I finally requested it from the library.

I thought it was a book about the last night at a local restaurant. So in my head it was going to be this great story about everyone going to this local establishment one last time. Well the "local" restaurant was actually a Red Lobster, and I couldn't adapt to the change in the story. In my head, my version, was so much better.

That being said I don't really think I gave this book a fair shot. It was written well and has a lot of critical acclaim. It follows Manny the manager of a Red Lobster on its last open day, which happens to occur on the same day as a blizzard. The restaurant chain has decided this restaurant isn't profitable enough and is moving the manager and five of his employees to an Olive Garden. O'Nan captured the characters and restaurant life perfectly. The story follows Manny from opening up to closing the doors for the last time.

I can't say I'd recommend this book, but if someone read it without the preconceived notions I had, perhaps it would be more enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour. ..................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull, Some have weird names , and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box ...................................................................

    ReplyDelete